NEW YORK — As part of its American Icons campaign, Macy’s will celebrate the 80th anniversary of the drive-in theater by providing customers with a free showing of “The Smurfs” in pop-up drive-ins at select Macy’s stores and existing drive-in theaters nationwide.
“Macy’s American Icons campaign is an all-star salute to the American way and going to the drive-in theater is a cherished pastime that can be enjoyed by the whole family,” said Martine Reardon, Macy’s CMO. “There is great magic and excitement in attending a drive-in movie, and with this event, we can bring that experience to families nationwide.”
Throughout the month of June, Macy’s will set up pop-up drive-ins at 20 Macy’s locations and screen the film — as well as a sneak peak of The Smurfs 2, in theaters July 31 — at nine local drive-ins nationwide.
Parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, and to encourage customers to show up early, the retailer will offer pre-show activities, which will vary by location and may include carnival activities and giveaways.
Of course, the idea is to get foot traffic into stores. To that end, customers who shop at the retailer’s kids department on the days of the drive-ins and purchase $40 or more in children’s apparel will receive a Macy's Drive-In lawn chair souvenir.
Macy’s will hold its Great American Drive-In events at the following drive-in theaters:
• Ocala Drive-In Theatre, Ocala, Fla., June 21
• Raleigh Road Outdoor Theatre, Henderson, N.C., June 21
• Sacramento 6 Drive-In, Sacramento, Calif., June 22
• Boulevard Drive-In, Kansas City, Kan., June 27
• Hathaway's Drive-In, North Hoosick, N.Y., June 27
• Shankweiler's Drive-In, Orefield, Pa., June 27
• Sunset Drive-In, Colchester, Vt., June 27
• Verne Drive-In, Luverne, Minn., June 27
• Electric Dusk Drive-In, Los Angeles, June 30
The retailer will set up pop-up drive-ins at the following Macy’s locations:
• Macy's Monmouth Mall*, Eatontown, N.J., June 21
• Macy's Pleasanton Stoneridge*, Pleasanton, Calif., June 21
• Macy's Valley View*, Roanoke, Va., June 21
• Macy’s West County*, St. Louis, June 21
• Macy’s Cool Springs Galleria*, Franklin, Tenn., June 22
• Macy's South Portland, South Portland, Maine, June 22
• Macy’s Woodland Hills*, Tulsa, Okla., June 22
• Macy’s Florida Mall*, Orlando, Fla., June 25
• Macy's Downtown Boston, Boston, June 26
• Macy's Union Square, San Francisco, June 27
• Macy’s Century City, Los Angeles, June 28
• Macy’s First Colony*, Sugarland, Texas, June 28
• Macy's Washington Square*, Tigard, OR, June 28
• Macy's Alderwood*, Lynnwood, Wash., June 29
• Macy’s Coral Square, Coral Springs, Fla., June 29
• Macy's Ross Park*, Pittsburgh, June 29
• Macy’s The Marketplace*, Rochester, N.Y., June 29
• Macy’s West Farms, West Hartford, Conn., June 29
• Macy’s Woodfield*, Schaumburg, Ill., June 29
Locations marked with an asterisk have FM frequency.
Macy’s American Icons officially kicked-off on May 15 and will extend through July 4.